October is upon us! It’s not as premiere-heavy as September was (thank God), but it’s an interesting mix. We’re particularly excited for Extraordinary You, previously known as Haru Found By Chance (although we don’t love the name change). What are you most looking forward to this month?
Oct 2, MBC, 32 eps, W/Th
Stars Kim Hye-yoon, Ro Woon, Lee Jae-wook.
Eun Dan-oh (Kim Hye Yoon) is a student at a prestigious academy, but she has a heart condition. One day by chance, she discovers that she and everyone else in her world are actually characters in a manhwa called Secret. Worse yet, Dan-oh is only a minor character in this story and is expected to die soon. Not satisfied with this fate, she decides to forge her own destiny by changing the story’s plot and finding her own true love. -Dramawiki
- Lee Jae-wook! Yay!
- Based on webtoon July Found by Chance.
- (Honestly, the posters for this drama are all so gorgeous I hated picking one.)
Oct 4, JTBC, 20 eps, F/S
Stars Yang Se-jong, Woo Do-hwan, Jang Hyuk.
Set during the end of the Goryeo period to the early Joseon period. Two friends aim their swords against one another due to differences in opinion about “my country.”
Seo Hwi is a warrior. His father Seo Geom is a famous commander. Seo Hwi does not compromise when it comes to injustice. His life devolves into a hellish existence, but he still holds a smile. Nam Sun-ho is smart and a talented figure. Because his mother was born into the lowest class, Sun-ho is looked down upon by other people. He wants to pass the military service examination. Due to a corruption scandal involving his father, Sun-ho loses his dream. Making things worse, he comes into conflict with Seo Hwi over a misunderstanding.
- Don’t know much about the screenwriter, but this is the director of Just Between Lovers and I Remember You, which is a good sign.
Oct 7, SBS, 32 eps, M/T
Stars Jang Nara, Lee Sang-yoon, Lee Chung-ah.
Na Jung-sun (Jang Nara) works for a team that deals with VIP customers of a department store. She is married to Park Sung-soon (Lee Sang-yoon), who works on the same team. The couple face an unexpected case, which causes their lives to fall apart. -Asianwiki
- Seems to be the first credit for both director and screenwriter.
Oct 12, OCN, 16 eps, S/S
Stars Lee Min-ki, Lee Yoo-young.
Everyone’s Lies is about a woman whose husband disappears after the sudden death of her father. She joins the National Assembly and teams up with a detective in her search for the truth. The two characters work together to break through the silence and lies that people spill to protect their own interests. -Soompi
- Director Lee Yoon-jung of Coffee Prince, Heart to Heart, Cheese in the Trap, Argon. YAY. (One of the screenwriters also worked on Argon.)
Oct 13, TV Chosun
Stars Lee Dong-gun, Jeon Hye-bin, Kim Sae-ron.
The story of Lee Tae Joon, an elite insurance investigator turned scam strategist who recruits the best “players” in order to catch the real criminals who think they’re above the law. –Soompi
- Remake of the US series Leverage.
Oct 21, tvN, 16 eps, M/T
Stars Moon Geun-young, Kim Sun-ho, Jung Yoo-jin.
When a rookie detective’s autistic twin sister goes missing, she joins the subway police team to try and find her. -Dramawiki
- Main character is literally named Ghost (Yoo-ryung), so it’s unclear whether there is any actual supernatural stuff here. Although it is listed as fantasy.
- Pushed ahead to October from August to give the drama more time to prepare.
- MGY’s first drama in 4 years, and since her health struggles.
- Director’s last project was Come Back, Ajusshi
Oct, SBS, 12 eps
Stars Kang Min-ah, Lee Dae-hwi, Christian Burgos.
A romantic comedy is about six people from all around the world living in a luxury share house in Seoul, and the drama tells their stories of life, love, and friendship. -Soompi
- Christian Burgos is a TV celebrity originally from Mexico and will be the first Latino actor in a Korean drama. He debuted on Abnormal Summit in 2015. Super interesting interview, please read!
- Kang Min-ah was in A-Teen 2, a web drama. (This one is listed as a web drama but also SBS, so I’m unsure how it will air.)